SAS 9.4 is on its way “soon,” after a preview at SAS Global Forum accompanied by a projection that the release would arrive in a matter of months or weeks. From the programmer’s point of view, the key new features that have been announced so far are support for:
- The latest Microsoft operation system
- HTML 5 as the default ODS destination
- Epub, the popular HTML 5 ebook format, as an ODS destination
- Server clustering and cloud deployment
- Security integration
- An expanded PROC DS2, which works like a procedural programming add-on for SQL
Based the chatter I have been hearing so far, I expect SAS 9.4 to have a very high degree of source code compatibility with previous releases, just as SAS 9.3 did. Of course, you never know for sure until the experts try a suite of representative code, and at this point, we are only waiting and speculating.