Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SAS 9.3 Is Available

SAS announced the availability of the newest SAS release, SAS 9.3, early today. Right out of the box, SAS 9.3 shows substantial changes that extend SAS’s reach, but that in some ways represent a break from the past. SAS users generally will need to be aware of the major new features even if they are not using them immediately, in order to navigate the changes successfully.

This blog will consider new features in SAS 9.3 as I come upon them. At the same time, I will be revising my books Professional SAS Programmer’s Pocket Reference, Routine SAS, Professional SAS Programming Shortcuts, and Professional SAS Programming Secrets, along with the Global Statements web site, to bring them up to date with the latest SAS features. I will be writing about my progress and difficulties in that work and asking for suggestions and priorities for each book. Given its topic, this blog is not meant to be open-ended. If all goes well, it may have run its course in a few months.

The important disclaimers: I am not affiliated with SAS and have no inside knowledge, so everything here is based on published information. SAS and other SAS product names are registered trademarks of SAS Institute Inc. in the United States and other countries. If you are interested in licensing SAS, please contact SAS for further information. We are all taking our first look at SAS 9.3 at this point, so some of my ideas here may be untested and speculative, and I may change my mind as I go along. If something I say doesn’t seem quite right, please take the time to comment. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment